Welcome Back! It was wonderful to greet the smiling faces that walked into our classroom on Monday morning. I think everyone may have grown a bit too. The children transitioned beautifully back into our routines and activities. We spent quality time reflecting about vacation news: trips, quality time with family, playing outside, going for an ice cream, baking, playing games, traveling, swimming, horseback riding, you name it. Children enjoyed sharing with each other and then writing about their memories.
* Letter of the week is Cc. We focused on the hard /k/ sound that c makes in cat. We discussed the soft c sound as in cent. Children learned the "Gentle Cindy" rule which teaches that if c is followed by an e, i, or y it will likely say the /s/ sound.
* Practice listing words that begin with c; recognizing c in text; practicing with sight words: HAVE, YOU, and GET.
* Handwriting: children practiced forming the magic c with a big curve and a little curve.
*Children practiced writing sight words and recognizing them in text
* Weekend (Vacation) News - children wrote and illustrated. The children are focused on sentence structure and representing sounds in their writing.
Poetry Writing with author and poet Ms. Lyn Littlefield Hoopes
It is always a delight to have Ms Hoopes visit in kindergarten. The students enjoy as she shares her writing, teaches about hearing poems with a poets ear, and introduces the use of similes for poetry writing. Ms. Hoopes also shares her own beautiful original photographs of creatures in nature. Children each chose a photograph to inspire them and then began the writing process. Enjoy the photographs.
Thank you, Mrs. Foley - Marsello, for visiting with your mystery box and for sharing the "treasure" inside!
Happy Birthday to our Birthday Friends! Our age graph is changing - three more 6 year olds in our class this week.
* Numbers up to 20
- Comparing sets
- Finding differences
- Fewer, more, and less
- Number train - Children placed items under the corresponding number.