More great stuff happening in second grade! Here's what we've been up to.
*Children wrote about their weekend in their Writer's Notebook .
*Continued the process in finalizing the interviews that the children conducted with a partner -
This week, children converted interview answers into complete sentences.
We then discussed the format of a paragraph and planned out how to add the sentences into a paragraph.
we started with an introduction sentence: I interviewed ---------. We then discussed that the sentences about the interviewee are the body of the paragraph. Finally, we listed some options for an ending or closing sentence - such as I learned a lot about ----------. or I enjoyed interviewing --------. Children worked on framing their sentences - starting with a capital letter, leaving spaces, and adding punctuation. The next step will be editing and then final drafts.
* Daily Oral Language - Children work together to make corrections to sentences that are grammatically incorrect.
* Spelling - children started a new list on Monday. We have been working on the ed suffix which has 3 different sounds: /t/ when added after an unvoiced letter; /d/ when added after a voiced letter; and /ed/ when added after a t or d. Children have also been practicing the memory steps for sight words. We also did some aerobic spelling and finger tracing during our lessons.
*We have also been working with words that have 's for possessive and for the contractions like who's = who is/has
* Handwriting - worked on center start letters: C O Q G S A I T J
Parent - Teacher conferences:
Children spent time reflecting on their work and preparing for their role in the P-T conferences.
* This week following student-led conferences, the children completed a reflection about the experience.
They answered questions like: How did you feel before your conference? How did you feel after? What do you think your parents enjoy most?
Chapter 2 - Addition to 1,000
*Adding with regrouping in the ones; tens; and ones and tens
*Using base ten blocks to add numbers with regrouping
*adding 3 digit numbers with regrouping
*solving real-world addition problems
*subtraction without regrouping
*subtraction with regrouping
Vocabulary: add, place value chart, regroup, subtraction
* In science, children have been learning about the garden and how it affects the communities around us. Mr. Wallick shared that the food is donated to Grace Episcopal Church as well as the Schwartz Center.
* This week we began talking about the community outside of our classroom - the FA community. We talked about the word interdependence. We listed staff at Friends and considered what it would look like without one role or person. Each second grader was assigned to one "FA Helper" and will continue the project with the process of conducting an interview and again converting that information into a final draft paragraph. More information to come....